Many women after childbirth ask the same question How to lose weight while breastfeeding? This interest is fully understandable. Every mother wants to provide her baby with a healthy, nutritious diet, but at the same time, every woman wants to be in good shape and be satisfied with the way she looks. Before answering the question “How to lose weight while breastfeeding?” we need to find out why women gain so much weight during pregnancy.
Not Excess Weight
During pregnancy, in general, a woman gains in weight from 11-22 to 55 pounds. If the future mother is very slim she may gain even more. This number consists of the weight of the child himself, the placenta, the increased amount of blood, amniotic fluid, and the actual fat tissue which worries women the most.
This increase in weight is vital for the development of the child and the well-being of the mother. Previously people believed that fat cells are laid in the human body in infancy and in adolescence. Later it turned out that Mother Nature, caring for the preservation of the human race, forms more additional fat cells in the last trimester of pregnancy.
This means that every pregnancy is accompanied by an increase in the amount of fat tissue. Its cells can decrease in size, but they don’t disappear and remain in the female body, waiting for the moment when there is a need to collect fat reserves. This is the reason why it is impossible to go back to the former weight after childbirth quickly.
How to Lose Weight While Breastfeeding: the Right Diet
- After returning from the maternity hospital a nursing mother needs to choose the right diet. It must include all the necessary for the mother and the child useful substances, vitamins, and microelements. But at the same time, food should not be excessively high in calories.
- A false stereotype is a widespread belief that in order to increase the fat content of breast milk, a nursing mother should consume a lot of fatty foods. For example, in the past women used to drink tea with milk or cream to achieve this.
- Modern breastfeeding experts recommend nursing women to follow the water drinking regime. A mother needs to drink at least two liters of pure water a day.
- A woman concerned about losing weight while breastfeeding should adhere to a fractional diet. She should eat at least 5-6 times a day. Of course, portions should be small.
- Breakfast should be full-fledged. But dinner can be replaced with something light, for example, with a yogurt. Dinner is recommended three-four hours before bedtime.
- Many women receive so-called “invisible calories” when they try food while preparing it. It is necessary to get rid of this habit.
- For faster weight loss while breastfeeding, it is better to exclude fried and fatty foods from the diet. Boiled, steamed, or baked in the oven dishes are more useful for both the mother and her child.
Pay Attention to What You Eat
It is really good if about a half of the daily ration of a nursing mother will consist of fruit and vegetables. They can be raw, boiled, or stewed without oil. But keep in mind that during breastfeeding some fruit and vegetables must be excluded from the diet. These are primarily red and orange fruit, exotic fruit and vegetables. They can cause allergies in the baby. Also, it is not recommended to eat legumes, as they increase gas formation in the intestine.
- For those women who think about how to lose weight while breastfeeding, experts recommend excluding bananas and grapes from the diet. They have significant calorie content.
- What concerns dairy products, remember that cheese is high in calories. But doctors do not recommend refusing it. Cheese belongs to natural sources of calcium. It is better to choose its less fatty varieties.
- Meat products should not be in the daily ration more than once, preferably for breakfast or lunch. Meat is difficult to digest. But, in any case, you should try to eat meat and not its derivatives. In order to lose weight while breastfeeding, it is necessary to exclude from the list of products sausages, smoked products, and so on, as they have a high content of fats and salt.
- Porridges, whole-wheat bread, and brown rice are, vice versa, very useful.
If a woman is concerned about the idea of how to lose weight while breastfeeding she should know the list of “harmful” to her health and body products. The basis of this list is smoked, spicy, salted, fried foods, canned goods, seeds, nuts, chocolate, alcoholic beverages. It is also necessary to reduce the amount of consumed starchy food.
In order to lose weight more easily during breastfeeding, a woman should refuse snacks. You can drink a glass of pure water or a cup of tea without sugar.
The total calorie content of the daily diet should be about 1500-2000 calories. You must not eat less than 1200 kcal per day. In addition to causing serious damage to health, it can lead to a slowing of metabolism in the body on average by 45%. That, of course, will significantly slow down the process of losing weight and can lead to serious consequences for the child.
Physical Exercises for Losing Weight during Breastfeeding
In addition to a proper diet, sport or physical exercises will also be helpful for losing weight while breastfeeding. Doctors advise beginning physical activity 2 months after normal, uncomplicated birth. You can start by walking with a baby carriage, beginning with short walks, and then increase the duration and pace of walking.
In two months after giving birth, a woman can choose a special set of physical exercises. It is very good for a nursing mother to go to the pool or start dancing. Physical exercises not only help to burn fat but also reduce stress levels, improve well-being and mood.
Do not underestimate the activity that comes to your life with the appearance of a baby. Pleasant troubles of caring for a child are those natural exercises that burn excess calories in sufficient amounts.
Influence of Breastfeeding on Weight Loss
Some young mothers easily lose weight after giving birth without any efforts. Experts have tried to determine how this happens for a long time. In the end, it was proved that women lose weight due to breastfeeding.
Researchers have revealed several features of this process:
- The mother’s body burns more than 500 calories a day because of the production of milk
- The size of the hips reduces the most when the child is 3 months old
- Extra pounds are going away more intensively when the baby is 3-6 months old.
The specialists also proved that the majority of nursing mothers can consume 1,500-1,800 calories per day and lose 1 kg per week.
Eating for two is a mistake that will not bring any benefit to the mother and her child. During pregnancy, the body has already made reserves of valuable for lactation substances and microelements. Therefore, during breastfeeding the emphasis should be on the quality of the diet, not on its amount.
Tips for those wondering how to lose weight while breastfeeding are fairly simple. But if you try to follow them, a positive result will not keep you waiting.
What’s The Most Important for a Nursing Mother?
To quickly lose weight and regain shape after childbirth is an ordinary desire of every woman. But don’t forget that the most important of all the worries in this period is caring for the child. So every step you take on the way to your cherished body should be safe and shouldn’t harm the child.
Pay attention to the following: every breastfeeding mom needs to make sure that her baby receives all the necessary vitamins and nutrients with the breast milk. Your child is always more important than your body! Diet can wait.
Only a healthy mother can raise a healthy and active baby.
1 1 1 1