Music is a special world with bright colors, magical melodies, and pleasant tones. There is hardly at least one person who feels indifferent to music. Numerous studies of scientists have proven the beneficial effects of classical music on children and adults, as well as animals and even plants. Strange as it may seem, but melodious music is capable of stimulating the growth and development of all living things. So, let’s talk about the benefits of baby music and music in general.
“Magical” Effect Of Music On Children
As a result of numerous studies, it was scientifically established that music really contributes to the more active development of children. Many mothers practice music therapy even for babies still in the womb. Of course, the child begins to perceive the lyrics of the songs only at a more mature age, but the ability to recognize the melody is more or less observed before birth. How exactly does music influence the development of children, including pre-school age? Among the positive effects of baby music and music in general are the following:
- Improved memory. The child remembers the melody and the text, and it happens on a subconscious level.
- Formation of speech. Singing to favorite songs, the kid trains articular skills.
- Music therapy as a way to control the emotional state of the child. Overly active and easily excitable kids relax better thanks to calm music. And funny and perky melodies will help shake and cheer up passive kids.
- Development of creative abilities. Listening to baby music, the child learns to interpret and understand it. This means that the imagination is actively involved in the process.
- Development of writing and math skills. Surprisingly, regular listening to music also influences the child’s ability to write and count. There is a scientific explanation for this – music develops spatial perception.
The Influence of Music on the Psyche of the Child
The influence of music on the psyche of the child begins in the womb. Music can not only beneficially affect the psyche of a healthy child, but it is also often used as a means of correcting various disorders in children in the psycho-emotional sphere. What’s more, music therapy is used for problems in communication, isolation, fears, and other psychological diseases of varying degrees of complexity. Music is used to normalize and harmonize the state of the baby, relieve tension, increase emotional tone, restore balance in the psycho-emotional sphere, as well as to correct deviations in personal development.
If parents want to practice music therapy as a preventive measure, they may very well unobtrusively let the child listen to the music that can affect him. For example, if the kid is quiet and shy, then while he is sitting, drawing, or playing with his toys, you can turn on rhythmic music. This will surely make him move and become more active. But if the child, on the contrary, is hyperactive, then while he rushes around the room, turn on the classical symphony.
This will help the child calm down a bit. And if you do it every day, then it is quite possible to correct the character of the baby. And in general, listening to classical works can raise your spirits, improve your well-being and increase the efficiency of all family members.
Do not forget that it is useful not only to listen to music but also to sing. A mother’s lullaby can undoubtedly lull a restless baby, but it also improves lactation in the mother herself. When a child grows up, it is very useful to sing together as well.
Choosing baby music, take into account the mood and character of the child, so that the music will bring you and the baby only positive emotions. And then music will become a harmonious part of your life, filling it with new colors and emotions.
What Kind Of Baby Music Should Children Listen To?
Any musician will say that it is necessary to develop a musical ear for a child with the help of the right music. The direction of the development of the child’s personality depends a lot on the choice of musical material. Experimenting with some styles and genres is not worth it. You need to choose the right genres which will have a beneficial effect on the child.
Do Not Turn On:
- Noisy and loud music. Sensitive children’s ears react very strongly to chaotic house, aggressive heavy metal, hard garage rock, etc. Such music can cause tears and hysteria in the youngest music lovers, and in older children – aggression and excess energy. Psychologists do not advise adults to include songs with the percussion instruments in the baby music playlist.
- Songs with obscene language. The texts of many compositions contain words that even adults try not to use in their speech. Children, however, do not differ in modesty. Therefore, they can repeat an obscene expression with a completely imperturbable face. It will be very difficult to wean them from their bad habit.
- Too slow songs. Calm and light music is good, but in moderation. It is not necessary to turn the lyrical ballads on that make everyone feel melancholy. Adults may like them, but children still need more dynamic and invigorating music.
Scientists in trying to determine how music affects the development of the child’s personality have come to the following conclusions:
- Baby music therapy sessions should be carried out 2-3 times a day, 20-30 minutes each. Duration can be increased if the baby is willing to listen to the music.
- It is better to listen to relaxing compositions after feeding, and dynamic and fun – before.
- No need to turn on the music loudly – just the volume of calm conversation.
- The repertoire can be wide and include baby music, pop, jazz, folk songs, etc.
- The child must necessarily be introduced to classical music. It is the best tool for music therapy. However, there are some nuances that must be taken into account during the “sessions”. For example, do not compile a repertoire exclusively from the classics. It is important to keep a balance between different musical directions.
The Influence Of Classical Music On Children
Not all adults can boast of a love for classical music. To most, it seems too boring and difficult to listen to every day. However, children’s psychologists claim that the influence of classical music on the psyche of children is enormous. Of course, everything is very individual. Some kids, having heard the sounds of the orchestra, may start crying, others – get energized or, on the contrary, completely calm down. The reaction of children depends directly on temperament, and for each, you need to make an individual musical program.
The benefits of classical music for children of all ages are scientifically proven. Regular listening of Mozart, Bach, Chopin, and other “golden” composers noticeably develops the child’s creative, mental, and communicative abilities.
There is even the so-called “Mozart Effect”, derived by the French otolaryngologist A. Tomatis. It says that children listening to the works of V. A. Mozart demonstrate a more dynamic development of thinking than their peers who do not listen to the music of this composer. The doctor explains this phenomenon with a special tonal sound series characteristic of the works of Wolfgang Amadeus. Of course, it is too early to talk about one hundred percent manifestation of the effect, but the fact remains that classical music definitely contributes to a more active mental and creative development of children.
Baby Music: Songs For Children
A great role in the development of the child’s personality is played by songs written specifically for young music lovers. As a rule, these are uncomplicated compositions with easily memorable text that take into account the importance of children’s creativity and the development of imagination.
Listening to such songs, the baby is involved in the process of learning the vast world of music, includes imagination, and draws various images in the mind. Very often parents even combine children’s music therapy sessions with drawing classes. A child can express his emotions and thoughts while listening to songs on paper using paints.
Great interest in kids cause analogs of adult musicals – musical tales. It can be both audio recordings and musical cartoons, which are now widely represented in the world film collection. In an easy and accessible form, they tell about simple human values and wisdom of life, cultivate in children courage, respect for loved ones, justice, and kindness. Kids quickly memorize songs from fairy tales, which contributes to the development of memory and speech.
Thus, music in many ways helps parents in matters of child education. In addition, if you start baby music therapy at an early age, your child will definitely show creative abilities.
Born in Belarus, 1985, a pedagogue and family psychologist, mother. Taking part in procedures of social adaptation of the foster children in new families. Since 2015 is a chief editor of the motherhow.com project, selecting the best and up-to-date material for those, who are planning, expecting, and already having babies.