Pregnancy weakens your immune system and makes the body vulnerable to various infections and allergies. At the same time, pregnant women need to be extra careful when taking medications because anything they take can be passed to the baby. How can one alleviate the symptoms? Can a woman take Benadryl while pregnant?
Doctors Do Not Recommend
Many doctors, in general, do not recommend using any medications throughout the period of pregnancy and advise to try to do without them. If you are allergic and know the cause of your allergy, then you must exclude the allergen. And if there are doubts, first of all pay attention to food, because this is a very important point. Sometimes even the most common products can harm both the mother and the baby. Moreover, young mothers should completely eliminate the products, which caused allergic reactions at least once.
Naturally, a complete rejection of alcoholic beverages, as well as all kinds of (active and passive) smoking is necessary. Disregard for these rules lead to vasospasm and, as a consequence, the difficulty of intake of nutrients and oxygen, the development of allergic dermatitis, asthma and other ailments in the unborn child.
The second in the list, but often the first in value, is stress. As a rule, stressful situations exacerbate the course of allergies and provoke their appearance. Therefore, the less worries and emotional loads the mother feels, the better. The risk of allergies will tend to zero.
The third number in the program of allergies pathogens are external stimuli: the most common items of everyday life, animal hair, dust, insect secretions, synthetic fibers, etc. In a word, this is almost everything that surrounds the future mother. Therefore, a pregnant woman should do daily wet cleaning, air an apartment more often, and not get pets.
What to Do?
What can a pregnant woman do, if the allergy has finally and irrevocably taken control of her body and no diets and other tricks help, and do not weaken the symptoms. Before you start taking allergy pills during pregnancy, remember that no medicine gives any guarantee of safety. That’s why medications during pregnancy can be taken only in extreme cases and only after consulting a doctor. What about Benadryl while pregnant? Is it safe to take it? Let’s learn more about the drug.
Description of the Medication
There are 2 forms of the drug:
- Pills. Formed in a film coat, elongated oval shape, bright pink color, with engraved letter “B” on the one side and a numerical indication of the dosage “25” on the other.
- Syrup. Slightly yellowish, moderately viscous liquid, with a fruity taste and a smell.
The kinetic properties of the pharmacological agent show the following:
- It is quickly and almost completely absorbed.
- Biological availability reaches 50%.
- The peak concentration of the active element in tissues and organs takes place 20-40 minutes after oral intake.
- The relationship with blood proteins is set at 99%.
- The active components of the agent penetrate through the BBB.
- Metabolism is realized in the liver, to some extent in the kidneys and in the lung tissue.
- The duration of the half-withdrawal period varies from 4 to 10 hours.
- Complete excretion by the kidneys is observed during the day (in the form of active metabolites).
- Antihistamine action.
- Sedation effect.
- Anticholinergic action.
- Bronchial spasmolytic, suppressing cough reflex and swelling of bronchial mucosa.
Benadryl Interaction with Other Medications
Use of the drug is permissible after getting acquainted with the norms of pharmacological interaction:
- Do not take Benadryl together with medicines, in which diphenhydramine and analgesics are present.
- The drug is not used in conjunction with Amiodarone and Quinidine (medications regulating heartbeat) and medicines used to treat high blood pressure.
- If the patient has previously taken tranquilizers and sedatives, the dosage of Benadryl must be adjusted.
- Do not take the drug together with inhibitors of monoamine oxidase.
- There is also an increased pharmacological effect when using sedatives.
Indications for Use
One should take the drug strictly according to the indications:
- Elimination of the symptoms of seasonal allergies and hay fever: (sneezing, runny nose, tearing and itching of the eyes, itching in the larynx and nose).
- Quincke’s edema.
- Anaphylactic reactions.
- Vasomotor rhinitis- a disease of the nose, caused by the destabilization of the neuro-reflex mechanisms in response to the stimulus.
- Hemorrhagic vasculitis – an ailment that affects small arteries, capillaries, vessels. An allergen can become the starting agent for the development of the disease.
- Temporary elimination of the common cold and sneezing caused by a cold.
Indications of Non-allergic Origin:
- Coughing attacks with acute and chronic bronchitis.
- Bronchitis of the smoker.
- Pertussis is an acute infection accompanied by a paroxysmal spasmodic cough.
Anti-allergic drug is not used in the following cases:
- Sleep disorders in children.
- High sensitization to active and additional elements (allergy to the drug).
- Attacks of bronchial asthma.
- Pyloric stenosis- narrowing of a lumen on this site of gastrointestinal tract.
- Bladder stenosis.
Doctors Prescribe Benadryl with Caution in the Following Cases:
- Diseases of the prostate gland (prostatitis in men).
- Problems with urination.
- Defeat of the respiratory system – chronic form of bronchitis.
- Pulmonary emphysema. The disease is characterized by increased airiness of the lung tissue.
In the case of receiving large doses of the drug, it is necessary to resort to medical care.
- Confused mental state.
- Anxiety and nervousness.
- Restlessness and irritability.
- Vomiting and nausea.
- Difficult, wheezy breathing.
- Swelling of the tongue, lips, face.
- Rashes on the skin, hives.
- Urine retention.
Some patients may experience the influence of the following side effects:
- Sleepy state.
- Increased excitability.
- Allergic response.
- Photosensitivity – sensitivity to bright light.
- Dryness in the oral cavity.
- Excessive sweat secretion.
- Arterial hypotonia.
- Tachycardia, palpitations.
- Failures on the part of the hematopoiesis system.
- Violations of coordination.
- Tremor (rapid movements of the limbs).
- Paresthesia – one of the disorders of sensitivity, accompanied by tingling and numbness.
- Failure of accommodability (the ability of the organism or individual organs to adapt).
- Diplopia. It is a violation of the visual function.
- Neuritis – lesions of individual peripheral nerves of various etiologies.
- Epigastric pain.
- Anorexia (one of the forms of eating disorder).
- Difficult, frequent urination.
- Concentration of sputum.
- Deterioration of attention and reaction.
Benadryl while Pregnant
Benadryl, according to the FDA classification, belongs to category B. This means that it is not harmful to the unborn child. However, do not take Benadryl while pregnant without talking to your health care provider in advance.
Children are particularly susceptible to the effects of antihistamines. That’s why side effects can occur in an infant. Do not take Benadryl if you are breastfeeding without first talking to your doctor.
Today, many women prefer taking Benadryl while pregnant. It is available in the form of pills and syrup. It has been clinically proven that this antihistamine has several properties:
- Broncholytic (suppresses cough).
- Sedative (calming effect on the central nervous system).
- Anticholinergic (suppression of transmission of nerve impulses).
The maximum concentration of the drug in the blood is noted within half an hour after taking the medication. The duration of the therapeutic effect is maintained for 4-6 hours. You can buy this medication without a prescription. However, Benadryl while pregnant can be taken only after consulting your doctor. There may appear side effects typical for antihistamines of the first generation, such as fatigue, dizziness, loss of strength, blood pressure jumps, digestive system disorders, neurological disorders, etc.
If the medication is ineffective for several days, stop treatment and contact a doctor who will correct the treatment.