Ovulation and pregnancy are the natural physiological processes taking place in the body of every woman. They are directly related to each other. The chances of getting pregnant during ovulation are the highest. Therefore, a couple planning to conceive a child must necessarily consider this factor. Unfortunately, even the presence of ovulation does not guarantee successful fertilization. However, this stage is necessary for conception.
What Are the Chances of Getting Pregnant During Ovulation?
The chances of getting pregnant during ovulation are the most favorable for conception of the child. In the absence of ovulation, pregnancy is simply impossible. This period comes about in the middle of the cycle (provided that the cycle is 28 days). Its maximum duration is 48 hours. If at this time there is no fertilization of the egg with the sperm, the conception is postponed until the next month. This nuance has natural causes. The egg after maturation in most women destroys within a day.
Chances of getting pregnant during ovulation: Percentage of likelihood of fertilization:
- On the day of ovulation – 33%
- The day before the release of the egg – 31%
- Two days before the ovulation – 27%
- Three days before the ovulation – 16%
- Four days before the ovulation – 10%
- Five days before the ovulation – 4%
After the destruction of the egg, the chances of conception are reduced to 0%. But no matter how high the probability of conception is, male sperm have a great influence on the process of fertilization. If the spermatozoa are active and have a long period of their life, they can literally “wait” for the maturation of the egg in the fallopian tubes. With a low quality of sperm, fertilization may not occur even at the most favorable moment.
With the second phase of the menstrual cycle there is another situation. After the destruction of the egg, pregnancy is impossible. But there are cases when ovulation is delayed. This occurs when the first phase of the menstrual cycle elongates. It lengthens because of colds, stress and trauma, etc. On average, with a 28-day cycle, ovulation occurs on the 14th day. If the cycle is violated, ovulation shifts and occurs later. Planning pregnancy becomes problematic. There are cases of a significant disruption of the hormonal background, when the release of two ovules from different ovaries in a single cycle is possible. Thus, pregnancy can occur on any day of the cycle, even during menstruation.
How Often Should You Have Sex while Trying to Conceive?
Couples that have no problems with health may not calculate the time of onset of the ovulatory phase. Usually regular sex leads to conception within 3 months. It is considered normal if the chance of getting pregnant comes within a year with unprotected regular sex. If conception does not occur by this time, a man and a woman should check their reproductive health.
Sex once every two days is an optimal frequency for conception. During this period, the amount of semen and sperm comes to normal. Sex for the purpose of conception can be practiced both during ovulation, and two days before it. Spermatozoa that got in the uterus retain viability for about two days (sometimes even longer). Thus, the sperm can catch the moment when the egg leaves the follicle.
Methods of Detecting the Onset of Ovulation
Since the chances of getting pregnant during ovulation are the highest, those who want to conceive a child should learn how to determine this phase.
- Some women feel painful spasms in the lower abdomen with ovulation. They are caused by rupture of the follicle and the release of the egg from it. Also, many women feel increased sexual desire during ovulation. Still, these methods are not the most reliable ways for detecting the time of ovulation.
- When examined by a gynecologist, the doctor notes an increase in mucus in the cervix, an increase in its viscosity.
- Independently, you can determine the period of ovulation with the daily measurement of basal body temperature. Normally, it is 0.5 degree higher than body temperature, measured in the armpit. In the period of ovulation it is 37.5 C. If pregnancy did not occur, the temperature again drops to the initial level. When the ovum has been fertilized, the temperature remains elevated.
- If you keep a diary of basal temperature, you can roughly calculate the onset of ovulation. If the woman has a regular menstrual cycle, relying on the diary data, it is possible to predict with the highest accuracy the most fertile days for conception.
- There are also special test strips for detecting ovulation. These tests detect the level of luteinizing hormone in the urine. You can buy them at the pharmacy. Before ovulation, a weak band appears on the strip. Closer to this phase, the color of the second band becomes more intense.
- In the conditions of a medical institution, ultrasound can be used. It is able to show the development of the ripening follicle and its rupture. It is an accurate method of diagnosing ovulation. This method is usually used to determine the exact time of IVF or artificial insemination.
Factors that Reduce the Chances of Getting Pregnant during Ovulation
The chances of getting pregnant during ovulation are very high, but the health of both partners plays a huge role as well. If a man or a woman has any deviations in the work of internal systems or reproductive organs, the chances of conception are reduced.
Factors that reduce the chances of getting pregnant during ovulation:
- Improperly calculated auspicious day. (Ovulation can be early, late, timely or absent, despite menstruation.);
- Hormonal failure. (Some medications, stressful situations, contraceptives, and a number of other factors can provoke such a condition.);
- Congenital pathologies of the uterus and other genital organs. (Some women have congenital abnormalities in the structure of the reproductive organs and their functioning. The chances of getting pregnant with such problems decrease regardless of the natural processes in the body);
- Deviations in the work of female reproductive organs, as a result of which the egg can’t ripe. (This condition may be an individual characteristic of the female body, especially at a young age and irregular menstrual cycles.);
- Low quality of sperm in a man. (A man should pass special tests to find out this fact.);
- A woman had abortions or tubal obstruction was found. (The cause of this condition in most cases are spikes that occur after a medical abortion.);
- The impact of external adverse factors. (For example, persistent stress situations.);
- Immunological incompatibility of partners (the presence of antibodies).
You can determine whether pregnancy occurred on the day of ovulation 7-14 days after fertilization of the egg. You can do this with a test. By this time, the hCG hormone will already begin to be produced in the body of a woman. In addition, the characteristic symptoms will help to recognize conception.
The probability of fertilization is affected not only by external factors and the health of partners, but also by their age. The older a woman is, the less is the chance to conceive a child.
Tips for Preparing for Conception
- Refusal of alcohol, smoking and caffeine. Increase the proportion of fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet. It is also necessary to visit a gynecologist who can prescribe necessary vitamins and minerals.
- Have sex in a day. This will increase the concentration of spermatozoa in the semen and make the sperm more active.
- Temporary refusal of cosmetic means of intimate hygiene. Sometimes they can change the pH of the skin and mucous membranes. This, in turn, can impair sperm motility.
- Correctly selected pose for conception. If a couple does not have health problems, the chances of becoming pregnant are high in any pose. The main thing is that ejaculation occurs deep into the vagina. With an insufficient number of spermatozoa, every milliliter is important.
- Absence of stress factors. The ability of women to conceive is greatly influenced by psychological factors. If at work a woman is constantly experiencing stress, it’s worth taking a vacation. It is advisable to take your mind off obsessive thoughts about the difficulty of conception and possible infertility.
- Revision of medicines. If one of the partners has a chronic illness, accompanied by a constant intake of medications, it is worthwhile to clarify the effect of the drug on the ability to conceive.