Quite often a pregnancy test shows the woman who suspects she is pregnant the faint second line. Such a situation can occur due to various reasons.
The period of time when you use a pregnancy test plays a significant part. In particular cases, you can receive a faint positive pregnancy test even during menstruation.
Faint positive pregnancy test before a missed period
Women who live a rich sex life often use pregnancy tests even before a missed period. It is caused by two main reasons: attempts to get pregnant or fear of an unplanned pregnancy.
Medical experts say that you should wait at least 7 days after a missed period to use a pregnancy test. By this time the woman’s urine contains enough hCG for a correct result. Human chorionic gonadotropin in the female urine reaches its highest concentration in the 8th-9th week of pregnancy.
During a standard 28-days-long menstrual cycle, the maximal pregnancy term before a missed period can be 4 weeks – provided that the conception happened immediately after menstruation. And if the ovulation was late and the conception occurred not long before the next supposed menstruation, the term of pregnancy before a missed period would be minimal. In this case, the likelihood of a positive pregnancy test result is low.
The faint positive pregnancy test before a missed period usually means that the term is too short and the hCG level in urine is not enough to be assessed in full measure.
In such a situation it’s recommended to use another test in a few days, when a missed period occurs. If the second line on a test stick becomes brighter, it is a sign of higher hCG level in urine and the developing pregnancy. But if the second test shows a faint line, turn to a medical expert.
Faint positive pregnancy test 10 days after a missed period
Ten days after a missed period is quite a long period of time – enough to speak about a possible pregnancy.
A faint positive pregnancy test, in this case, can mean that:
- The conception happened at the end of the previous menstrual cycle and the level of hCG is still too low. You should wait until the end of your usual menstruation and do another test.
- The pregnancy test has been used incorrectly. Failure to follow the instructions, using the test stick in the evening or after drinking too much water, violation of time frames when you should’ve assessed the result.
- The pregnancy test is defective or expired. It’s important to check the date of production and the integrity of the package before buying a test. After opening the package, you should inspect the test stick for damage.
- The embryo has died, or your pregnancy is ectopic.
- There is a threat of a miscarriage.
- You are not pregnant. In this case, the missed period and a faint line on a pregnancy test can be the signs of some kind of pathological process: hormonal failure, inflammatory diseases, cysts, fibroids, the effects of surgery, a recent miscarriage or abortion, etc.
The additional symptoms you can notice after a pregnancy test has shown faint second line are of great importance. Nausea, fatigue, irritability and other early pregnancy symptoms give you a clue about your condition.
In this case, the faint second line on a test is a disturbing sign. Buy a test made by another manufacturer – if possible, of higher susceptibility than the previous one you used. It this pregnancy test shows a faint line too, consult a doctor.
Such a situation is not a rarity during an ectopic pregnancy. Hesitations can lead to dangerous consequences for the woman.
The threat of a miscarriage can also make the second line on a test faint. In this case, failure to take necessary actions can result in the spontaneous abortion. The additional symptoms, which indicate such a state, are nagging pains in the lower abdomen, headaches, dizziness, vaginal spotting.
Faint positive pregnancy test during a period
You can use a pregnancy test during a period. Such a need often arises in women who have been sure about their pregnancy because of its apparent early signs. In such a situation, a menstruation isn’t a reason for dispelling any thought about pregnancy.
Getting a pregnancy test result helps to confirm or refute the assumption about a successful conception. Menstruation doesn’t affect the reliability of the pregnancy test results in any way if you follow the instruction to the letter and observe the rules of hygiene.
It’s important to use a pregnancy test made by a trustworthy manufacturer. If possible, buy a highly sensitive test, for example, first response early result pregnancy test or digital pregnancy test. Such tests are the most reliable because they detect even a minor increase in hCG in urine. Cheap sticks are not as sensitive. Use a test in the morning (it’s the best time), immediately after waking up. At this time the concentration of hCG in urine is the highest. Try not to drink too much before going to bed and during the night.
Blood in the urine can also negatively affect the reliability of the results. That’s why you should take a shower and use a tampon before doing a test during your monthly period.
The negative result confirms the absence of pregnancy or its short term: the hCG level is too low to be detected by a test stick. If you are still not sure you are not pregnant, use another pregnancy test after a period. If the result is negative, but you’ve noticed such disturbing symptoms as atypical vaginal bleeding or early pregnancy signs, it’s recommended to consult your doctor.
A faint positive pregnancy test during a period is a cause to suspect one of the following possible explanations:
- The conception has happened immediately before your monthly period, so the usual bleeding has started on time. Sometimes such a thing occurs: the woman is already pregnant, but her menstruation comes anyway.
- The pregnancy is ectopic, or the embryo has died. In such a situation, vaginal bleeding is often misinterpreted for
- There is a threat of a spontaneous abortion. In this case, vaginal bleeding is a sign of a miscarriage.
- Other reasons. Hormonal disruptions, inflammatory processes, the consequences of an abortion or miscarriage, etc. In such situations, a pregnancy test can show a faint line because of the presence of pregnancy hormones in the female urine. Thus, after an abortion or miscarriage, the level of hCG in the organism is still high.
It’s important to understand that vaginal bleeding in the case of an ectopic pregnancy or spontaneous abortion differs from usual menstruation. But women often can’t differentiate between these two causes. The presence of the faint second line on a pregnancy test is a reason for concern. Make an appointment with a gynecologist if this is your case. The doctor will perform an ultrasound in order to make out a correct diagnosis. They can also take a blood sample because the hCG level in blood increases faster than in urine, so pregnancy blood test is more accurate. Such a test also makes it possible to assess the term of pregnancy according to the concentration of the hormone in your blood.