A pregnancy pillow, which can also be called a pregnancy cushion, is a pillow made with features to provide a pregnant woman with optimum more comfort while sleeping or sitting down.
Carrying the extra weight of another human being can make pregnant women get tired often, yet when most pregnant women try to get some rest, they are unable to due to internal discomforts. A lot of pregnant women complain of backaches or leg cramps which increases their discomfort. A pregnancy pillow provides a pregnant woman with enough comfort so that she can relax and sleep. With proper rest, she can wake up feeling stronger and set to carry on her activities. Proper rest also keeps her and her baby healthy. The best way to achieve this is to ensure you get the best body pillow for pregnancy. Below are some more specific uses of a pregnancy pillow during and after pregnancy.
Usage Of a Pregnancy Pillow During Pregnancy
The 9 months pregnancy period of a woman is the best period to make use of a pregnancy pillow, although it can still be made use of afterwards. The uses of a pillow during the pregnancy include:
- Provides body support: Pregnancy pillows provide full body comfort for the back, shoulders, neck, stomach and the legs. When you get the best body pillow for pregnancy, it reduces pressure on the hips, the spine and the back. This keeps pregnant women well supported and healthier.
- Encourages deep sleep: A long good sleep is important for a pregnant woman to keep both herself and her baby healthy. Most times pregnant women experience difficulty sleeping for as long as needed due to some discomforts. A pregnancy pillow stimulates deep, long sleep for the mother by reducing aches and keeping her comfortable.
- Aids right sleeping position: Pregnancy pillows keep pregnant women sleeping in the right position for themselves and the baby. This right sleeping position involves the mother lying on her side. It prevents her from sleeping in any position which could be harmful to her baby.
- Keeps a pregnant woman calm: Most times when a pregnant woman cannot find a comfortable sleeping position, she tosses about in bed while worrying about lying in ways that could be harmful to her baby. A pregnancy pillow restricts her movement and keeps her comfortable which makes her calm.
- Blood Circulation: Sleeping in the right position enhances blood circulation to both the mother and the baby. Doctors recommend that pregnant women sleep on their left sides to aid this circulation. Pregnancy pillows often require that a pregnant woman sleeps on her side hence it enhances blood circulation to her and the baby.
- Provides comfort: When pregnant, total comfort is often a luxury for pregnant women. With the best body pillow for pregnancy, comfort will always be enjoyed during sleep.
- Good heart rate: When sleeping with a pregnancy pillow or cuddling closely with one, the heart rate of a pregnant woman is often lowered, which is good. This keeps her relaxed and gives her a proper grip on her emotions. This is good for her both physically and emotionally.
- Keep feet raised: If a doctor requires that the pregnant woman should sleep with her feet raised, a pregnancy pillow can be used to keep her feet comfortably elevated while she sleeps.
- Relieves body ache: Body aches are often common on pregnant women due to the stress that comes with having the extra weight of the baby to carry. While sleeping with a pregnancy pillow, this stress and body pain will be relieved due to its soft, cushioning effect.
- It is mobile: Pregnancy pillows are mobile, which means a pregnant woman can carry it around and even travel with it. They are not like customized beds or couches which cannot be carried around and can only be enjoyed when back home. A pregnancy pillow can be carried to a hospital, a friend or family’s home or a hotel room to provide comfort to an expectant mother.
Usage of a Pregnancy Pillow After Pregnancy
Even after the baby has been delivered, pregnancy pillows can still be made use of. Some of these uses include:
- Comfort during breastfeeding: Breastfeeding is a very important part of motherhood that not only keeps the baby fed, but also creates a bond between mother and child. During breastfeeding sometimes, both mother and baby might find themselves uncomfortable. A pregnancy pillow provides comfort and support to both the baby and mummy when used during breastfeeding.
- Promotes uterus healing: It is important that a woman’s uterus is healed after delivering a baby. This uterus healing usually takes place naturally during breastfeeding but a pregnancy baby pillow can also help aid this healing. Sleeping on a pregnancy pillow after pregnancy helps add pressure to the healing uterus to heal faster.
- Helps relieve post pregnancy aches: Child deliveries often leave mothers with a lot of body ache afterwards. After delivery, it is important to relieve as much body ache as possible. Pregnancy pillows help to relieve aches by providing added comfort to a new mother while she sits or sleeps.
- Enhances comfortable sleep for new mum: Even after delivery, a good sleep remains very important for a mother. She needs to rest in order to heal faster and also take care of her baby. Pregnancy pillows provide total comfort for a mother, which helps her get as much rest as she needs and keeps her healthy.
- Can serve as cushion for baby: Infants sleep very often and require optimum comfort. A pregnancy pillow can also serve as a temporary cushion for a baby due to its softness and comfort-giving feature.
Pregnancy pillows are very useful for pregnant women both before and after delivery. In its own comfort providing-way, a pregnancy pillow helps make sure a baby remains safe during the pregnancy and that a mother enjoys comfort during and after the pregnancy.