Pain is one of the most indicating symptoms of the disorder of the functions in your body. As for the pains in pregnancy – they may cause additional anxiety to that particular state of a woman. Any sort of pain during pregnancy is an alarming sign and should be taken into account. The changes that take place in a mother-to-be are not always pleasant. Besides the discomfort of the growing bump, pregnancy changes may cause pain. One of the most common complaints of pregnant women is pelvic pain during pregnancy. In fact, the nature of pelvic pain in most cases is natural and understandable.
However, you should never ignore the signals that the body gives. Sometimes seeing a specialist is a primary must-do. It all depends on the period and intensity characteristics of pain.
Since many variations of changes occur in women during pregnancy, some of them can cause discomfort and pain. After childbirth, the body comes back to normal functioning. However, you should not ignore the signals that your body gives you. Sometimes they require a referral to a specialist. Everything depends on the period, intensity, and characteristics of pain.
Types of Pain
Pains that occur in the first trimester. The reason is hormonal changes in a woman. The hormone relaxin is produced during pregnancy. Its aim is to weaken fabric connections to ensure the mobility of the pelvic complex. This makes the pelvis widen during pregnancy and childbirth. As a result of the softening of tissue some pain may occur, which is intensified or weakened by changing the posture.
The most common pain during pregnancy occurs in the womb, pelvic bones, muscles, and legs. Such pain arising usually from the middle of pregnancy (17-20 weeks) has aching in nature. They are caused by the changes that occur with the uterus. The uterus grows, pelvic bones diverge, and the center of gravity changes. The load that rests on the pelvis increases each week of pregnancy. To avoid discomfort, women use comfortable shoes, abandoning the high heels.
Another cause of the pain of the pelvic bones is a lack of calcium and vitamin D during pregnancy. The consequence of this deficit becomes symphysis. This pathology can cause rupture of the symphysis during childbirth. Solving the problem is possible by means of multivitamin complexes.
Attention!!! In a time of receiving vitamin preparations, you should be sure to adhere to the dosage, because excessive amounts of calcium adversely affect the unborn child. The child may have too hard bones and small fontanelle.
The pain in the back and pelvis during pregnancy may be due to weight gain. The load on the muscles of the back becomes more and some discomfort may appear in the pelvic girdle.
If you had a curved spine before pregnancy, low back pain, or other problems related to the musculoskeletal system, so expect an exacerbation of these diseases. The discrepancy between the bones of the pelvis, increasing the load on the body and weakens the overall cause.
The bones of the pelvis can also hurt because of the physiological processes that occur immediately before childbirth. To alleviate such pain, special pillows Pollsters are put under the buttocks of the woman in the hospital to straighten the axis of the birth canal.
Also, the pain in the pelvis during pregnancy occurs due to adhesions which previously left after the inflammatory of genitals or peritonitis. These adhesions can cause problems with conception, as well as cause discomfort during pregnancy, as the increasing uterus starts to stretch.
Not all the time there is the opportunity to avoid discomfort or pelvic pain during pregnancy. However, some preventive measures will lead the possibility of their occurrence to a minimum.
- Good nutrition with products that contain calcium. Consuming multivitamin complexes for pregnant women.
- Weight control.
- Walks in the open air. Wear comfortable shoes with a low heel.
- Wear a bandage If it is necessary.
- The surface for sitting and lying should be soft and comfortable.
- Do not lay your legs while sitting.
- If you sit in the car, make sure that your knees are not above the pelvis.
- If the pain in the pelvis during pregnancy disturbs during the night when you turn, then first of all, the woman must rotate the shoulders, then upper torso and then the pelvis.
- To unload the pelvis, a blanket should be laid at feet. However, a pillow should be under your buttocks. Thus, the load from the pubic and lumbar part is removed.
- Special gymnastic exercises and exercises in the pool before and during pregnancy can help to avoid complications in the child’s waiting period.
Exercises to Get Rid of the Pelvic Pain During Pregnancy
- Exercise ” the cat”. A woman standing on her knees and hands completely relaxes back muscles. Arched back up and lower the head. (Repeat 3 times).
- Exercise while lying on your back. The feet move up to the buttocks, the knees should be pointed to different directions. (Repeat 6 times)
- Exercise for your back muscles. Lie down. Elbows are bent. The pelvis is lift. Try to lower it slowly. (Repeat 5 times)
Sometimes the pelvic bones still ache even after the birth. It would seem that all behind but some mothers complain of the pain in the pelvis for the next six months. The reason is microtrauma that could be caused by severe tension of the symphysis. Most likely, you will be assigned a special brace – a pelvic fixator. It may reduce the pain in the recovery period. Taking a pain reliever is not advisable if you are breastfeeding. Usually, the pain goes away in the period from 2 to 6 months after childbirth. At this time also minimizing physical stress is recommended.
You must be careful and not rely on chance. Try always to consult with a doctor-gynecologist. Remember, no matter what happens in the body during pregnancy, it is always a period of joy and anticipation of happiness.
Born in Belarus, 1985, a pedagogue and family psychologist, mother. Taking part in procedures of social adaptation of the foster children in new families. Since 2015 is a chief editor of the motherhow.com project, selecting the best and up-to-date material for those, who are planning, expecting, and already having babies.