The first week of pregnancy is planning pregnancy, but not yet a pregnancy. Every future mom should know about the difference between obstetric and fetal gestation, about the preparation of the female body for fertilization, and find out – what should be abandoned during childbearing, what to beware of and how to improve the own health and the health of the future baby.
What Should I Know?
In obstetrics, gestational age is calculated from the first day of the last menstrual period. This type of counting was adopted because it is extremely difficult to define the exact day of ovulation, and, as a consequence, the day of conception. If to calculate gestational age using an “obstetric” method, no fetus can exist at the first week, and therefore, it is impossible to determine pregnancy at the first week.
Ideally, ovulation should happen on the 12-14th day of the cycle: a mature egg leaves the follicle, getting ready for fertilization. However, in reality, it may be different. Ovulation can occur on the 7-8th and on the 20-21 days of the cycle, depending on the individual characteristics of a woman and of the duration of the cycle. Thus, the first week of pregnancy – is the most mystical and even phantom week of the forty weeks, because obstetrician-gynecologists make these calculations theoretically.
What is Happening Inside of You?
Surprisingly, but the preparation for fertilization and for the further development of pregnancy begins at the stage of the formation of an egg: hormonal changes, nervous system, and much more – all this takes place on a monthly basis during each cycle.
It is not a secret that the first week of pregnancy can be calculated differently. It all depends on what we take as a “starting point”. If according to obstetric terms the first week starts from the first day of the last menstrual period, a “real” gestational age (which the doctor announces you after an ultrasound) is counted from the day of conception.
1 Week Pregnant Signs and Symptoms
In fact, the first two weeks of an “obstetric” pregnancy occur under a veil of secrecy. After all, even an expectant mother does not know that her egg is fertilized. That is why there are no signs of pregnancy. Of course, nausea or breast tenderness do not show in the first week.
The first week is extremely significant, so to say – critical. Very often, so many things depend on it: the further development of a fetus, as well as the very existence of pregnancy: whether the embryo is firmly attached to the womb.
It is too early to speak about such strongly marked symptoms as morning sickness, intolerance to food odors, or favorite perfume. However, sometimes discharge can take place at the first weeks of pregnancy, but do not panic – it is not dangerous and quite acceptable. The level of HCG is not so high in a woman’s blood at the first week of pregnancy. You can feel no changes. That is fine.
A pregnancy test, of course, will be negative. It can’t be different if you are completely healthy and do not have problems with hormones. A pale and barely visible second line will appear not earlier than in 10-12 days.
The fact of pregnancy in the first obstetric week is a mystery for a woman. She does not even know if an egg is fertilized. The body of an expectant mother just makes the first attempts to rebuild its work, “anticipating” an unusual condition.
What To Do?
If a woman has a determined desire to become a mother, now it is important to prepare herself for this long process. An expectant mother must accept a new life in her body, to realize this idea, understand the responsibility. After all, no one can see it now, but very soon it will be great happiness for both parents.
Useful tips and Advice for Expectant Mothers:
A new life is developing inside the woman, and the measures which must be taken to preserve her health during this period are more important than ever. Therefore, it is important to determine what should be abandoned at this period. If you have not done this before, start now, and it will have a positive impact on the development of your baby in the future.
- Perhaps the most significant caveat – to refrain from all kinds of poisons. That is, smoking and alcohol should be completely excluded in the first weeks of pregnancy.
- All medications that, for whatever reason, a woman forced to use must be allowed by your doctor. It is well known that many drugs can cause irreversible processes in a woman’s body. Therefore, it is unacceptable to take medicines without doctor’s permission.
- Try not to do X-ray irradiation of the abdominal cavity. Such procedures should be carried out only in case of emergency!
- Stressful situations negatively affect the health of an expectant mother, so it is advisable to solve all problems peacefully. Do not quarrel with your loved ones, do not conflict with the staff! It would be much better to create a cozy romantic atmosphere with your husband at home because sex in the first weeks of pregnancy will not only allow you to relax but also will strengthen the relationship with your spouse.
- To avoid any contacts with sick people. During the cold season, it is important to wear warm clothes and to protect yourself from colds, and various diseases that can cause fever, which is highly undesirable at the early weeks of pregnancy. Onions and garlic can help here- they are the best means of cold prevention.
- In order to strengthen the immune system and enrich the body with missing elements, it is recommended to take vitamins. But do not forget about the right nutrition, which is so important. The diet must necessarily include vegetables, fruits, grains and dairy products. It is especially important to pay attention to the content of folic acid in foods, it can help prevent birth defects and provide the normal development of the fetus.
A Long-Awaited Miracle!
A planned pregnancy – is always a joy! An opportunity to conceive a baby soon – is an incredibly warm and tender feeling that makes you involuntarily think about the good and bright. And even though there are no signs of pregnancy yet, and morning sickness still does not torment, but every cell of the female body is involved in procreation.
Dreams about kids and happy families become feasible. A cherished second line on a pregnancy test is the first step to the birth of a new life!
Born in Belarus, 1985, a pedagogue and family psychologist, mother. Taking part in procedures of social adaptation of the foster children in new families. Since 2015 is a chief editor of the motherhow.com project, selecting the best and up-to-date material for those, who are planning, expecting, and already having babies.